The Active Transport to School program is a travel behaviour change program which encourages and promotes environmentally friendly transport options such as walking, cycling, bus transport and car pooling.
The aim of an active transport to school program is to reduce the number of school trips that students take by car, in favour of safer, healthier and more environmentally friendly ways of travelling, with an emphasis on walking and cycling.
Reduced traffic congestion at schools is another key outcome of the program, increasing the overall safety of the school.
Below is an Active Transport to School resource kit that was developed as part of Council's 2007/2008 Active Transport to School's program.
The resource kit is designed to assist schools to develop and implement their own active transport program.
- A guide for the school community (PDF,170kB)
- Primary school travel plan survey (PDF,77kB)
- High school travel plan survey (PDF,76kB)
- Best routes to school audit (PDF,126kB)
- School travel survey data analysis (XLS,335kB)
- Guide to interpreting the data (PDF,93kB)
- Actions and activity suggestions (PDF,74kB)
- School travel plan template (PDF,135kB)
- Resources and links (PDF,71kB)
- Stay safe rider guide (PDF,1.2MB)
For more information, contact Council on 1300 79 49 29.