The main purpose of the Food Act 2006 is to ensure food for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption.
The Food Act 2006 requires Council to provide licences to food businesses and monitor the standard of operations in fixed, temporary or mobile food premises.
The applicant for a food business licence must be a legal entity (eg person(s) or company).
Prior to submitting your application, you should ensure the site has the relevant development approval to prevent the application being delayed.
Once approved, the applicant will be required to keep a current licence and comply with the Food Safety Standards and any conditions of the licence.
Construction and / or alteration of a food business
Food businesses are required to ensure that their food premises, fixtures, fittings, equipment and transport vehicles are designed and constructed to be cleaned and, where necessary, sanitised.
Businesses must ensure that the premises are provided with the necessary services of water, waste disposal, light, ventilation, cleaning and personal hygiene facilities, storage space and access to toilets.
If you are altering a existing food premises, Council requirements will apply to your alterations and the requirements in the Foods Standards Code must be taken into account.
If you are designing and building a new food premises, you must do this in accordance with Standard 3.2.3 Food Premises and Equipment to ensure the business is compliant. Plans must be approved by Council prior to any works being undertaken.
Mobile food vehicles must also comply with the requirements of Standard 3.2.3 Food Premises and Equipment.
- Food safety supervisor and food safety program
- Food Standards Code
- Food Safety Standard 3.2.1 - Food safety programs
- Food Safety Standard 3.2.2 - Food safety practices & general requirements
- Food Safety Standard 3.2.3 - Food premises & equipment
- Queensland Health
- Fixed food business licence application (PDF,111kB)
- Temporary food business licence application (PDF,258kB)
- Construct or refit food premises application (PDF,130kB)
- Specifications for food premises (PDF,213kB)
- Guide to applying to construct or refit a food premises (PDF,300kB)
- Food Act 2006 - Schedule 3 (see Dictionary)
- Food Regulation 2006
- Local Government Act 2009
For further information, please contact Council's Regulatory Services on 1300 79 49 29.