In 1999 a partnership was formed between the then Hervey Bay City Council, the University of Southern Queensland (Wide Bay campus), Wide Bay Institute of TAFE, Fraser Coast Anglican College, Hervey Bay High School and Urangan State High School.
This partnership was called Education Hervey Bay and the aim of the coalition was to provide excellence in learning at all levels - not just for local students, but also for overseas students who chose to study in the Hervey Bay region.
Education Hervey Bay participants work together to provide seamless education from pre-school through primary, secondary, TAFE and university. Education Hervey Bay prides itself upon the cooperation between educational organisations, which results in joint sporting, cultural and educational opportunities and events.
Other core activities of Education Hervey Bay include:
- Joint marketing in educational offerings to other regions, states and countries
- Setting up courses suitable for international students
- Encouraging development of facilities for international students (eg hostel, home-stay, eco-tourist trips, excursions, field trip experiences etc)
- Promoting the specialist areas of education in this area such as: Marine Studies, Information Technology, Chinese Language and Cultural development, Multi-media and Eco-tourism
- Continued development of links between secondary schools and TAFE for Link programs, Vocational programs and specialised facilities
- Development of a mutually acceptable offering of subjects whereby an individual school (that may not have a viable enrolment in a certain subject) may enable a student to be enrolled in another school's course for that subject (subject to QSA regulations)
- Enabling Early Start and University links between TAFE and USQ and between senior secondary schools and USQ
- Fostering relationships and processes that provide smoother transitions for students from pre-school to school, primary to secondary, school to work or University or TAFE
- Enabling a technology link for all educational facilities to utilise on-line Learning, electronic course materials, electronic communication and related local facilities.