Community Environment Program
The Community Environment Program (CEP) provides opportunities for residents to actively participate in the maintenance and management activities of bushland and open spaces, as well as environmental awareness programs including events and education.
The CEP aims to form long-lasting positive partnerships between Council, the community and special interest groups through a joint commitment to help maintain, protect and enhance Fraser Coast's reserve and open space network for present and future generations.
Currently, there are 12 CEP groups across the Fraser Coast region including:
- Friends of Arkarra
- Botanic Gardens Bushcare Group
- Fay Smith Bushcare Group
- Zero Chemical K'gari (Happy Valley)
- Botany Group
- Kingfisher Lakes Bushwackys
- Friends of Woocoo Park
- Poona Ecological Restoration Project
- Toogoom Foreshore Project
- River Heads Food Forest
- Birdwatchers of Hervey Bay
- Fraser Coast Community Nursery
Who can participate?
Anyone is welcome to join the Community Environment Program. Volunteer opportunities depend on existing group size, level of experience and current projects.
Volunteers should have a keen interest in caring for reserves and open spaces, enjoy working outdoors, want to learn about the environment and gain new skills, and enjoy working in teams.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to become involved in some of the following activities:
- restoring natural areas including tree planting and weed control;
- assessing the health of reserves and open spaces;
- project planning, implementation and monitoring;
- fauna and flora observations and recording
- facilitate and participate in various events such as World Environment Day and National Tree Day; and
- seed collection and propagation.
For more information about the program, please read the CEP Guidelines (PDF).
To volunteer with an existing program complete Volunteer Application Form (PDF)
To start an new CEP project complete Community Environment Program application form (PDF)
and return to Council via post, PO Box 1943, Hervey Bay 4655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact Council's Senior Community Environment Officer on 1300 79 49 29.