Establishment or occupation of a temporary home

Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration 2011) Schedule 7 provides the opportunity for land owners/residential caretaker to reside on their property under an establishment or occupation of a temporary home approval while their permanent dwelling is being built.

For further details please refer to the establishment or occupation of a temporary home fact sheet.

How does the local law affect you?

Approval may be granted for land owners to reside in a temporary home on their property for the following:

  • shed or class 10a building (prior building approval required);
  • caravan or mobile home;
  • bus;
  • car, van or other vehicle for up to six months; or
  • tent for up to three months.

The circumstances for which an approval may be granted are:

  • building and plumbing approvals have been obtained for a permanent dwelling on the property;
  • the applicant is able to demonstrate financial capacity and ability to construct the permanent dwelling;
  • an adequate source of potable water is available;
  • there is adequate means of waste disposal and sanitation available;
  • the temporary home is suitably screened from the street so as not to adversely affect the amenity of the area.

Conditions will be imposed on an approval and may include:

  • construction of the permanent residence is not to cease for more than three calendar months;
  • all necessary amenities are provided to the temporary homes;
  • only the owners of the property and their immediate family, including a maximum of two adults, reside in the temporary home;
  • construction of the permanent dwelling must be completed within a specified timeframe; and
  • upon completion and occupation of the permanent dwelling, the temporary home is to be de-commissioned and in the case of a shed, the removal of all habitable rooms including the kitchen, bedroom and living rooms.

Contact us

For further information, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 79 49 29 or email