History of Tiaro
The name 'Tiaro' is of aboriginal origins, dhaw-wa or tau-wau translates as withered or dead tree.
The first attempt at settlement in Tiaro occurred in 1842 when John Eales came overland with 20,000 sheep to establish a station.
Although not successful, this marked a beginning for Tiaro.
Also at this time Andrew Petrie's expedition landed in Tiaro having explored the Mary River. Petrie had been commissioned by the Government to locate the extent of the Bunya Bunya nut country.
A second expedition manned by Simpson and Eiper visited Eales station in 1843, their aim being to locate a site for a German mission station.
Although Tiaro Township was surveyed in 1864 it was not until 1867, influenced by the Gympie Gold rush, that Tiaro became a recognised settlement. The two-day trip to transport gold from Gympie mines to the river port of Maryborough was broken by an overnight stop in Tiaro, where the valuable cargo was secured in the Police Station.
In 1867 a Post Office servce commenced, but it was not until 1881, after the railway had been built, that a full postal service was established.
Local Government had its origins in the Tiaro Divisional Board, established on 11 November 1879. It was annother 25 years before Tiaro Shire Council came into existence on 31 March 1903. The boundaries extended from Owanyilla in the north, to Curra in the south, east from Tinnanbar to the Urah Mountains in the west.
The Bauple Sugar Mill commenced operations in 1886, servicing the requirements of the cane farmers throughout the Shire. The mill operated for some fifty-five years before closing in 1951. From the 1890s onwards Tiaro Shire was the base for a butter and cheese factory, as well as several juice mills.
The Shire continues to maintain a distinct rural character, the main industries in the Shire being - sugar cane, dairy and beef cattle, orchards, sawmilling, timber harvesting and treatment, small crops, vineyards and aquaculture.