A new floating pontoon is proposed to replace the existing March Street Jetty and adjacent gangway, which are currently closed due to damage.
The $1.1million project is being funded by the Department of Transport and Main Road’s Marine Infrastructure Capital and Maintenance Program, through the collection of recreational vessel registration fees.
It is intended that the proposed facility will be predominantly used by recreational vessels and that some limited commercial uses may also be permitted, subject to approval.;
The scope of works also include demolition of the existing jetty and gangway.
Draft concept plan
Public consultation on the draft concept plan closed 1 July 2017. Refer to ‘Milestones’ for current status.
The proposed design features include the following;
- Pontoon can be accessed through an approximately 35m long gangway. Part of this gangway will act as a fixed pedestrian bridge;
- The pontoon will have three (3) different freeboard height levels to cater for both small to larger vessel;
- The gangway will be resting on a platform fixed to the pontoon which will be 1.2m above the water level;
- This platform will continue along the pontoon for a length pontoon for 10m. The width of the platform will be 2.5m. This part of the deck has a freeboard height of 1.2m and is for berthing for larger vessel;
- The second part of the platform will be stepped down to 0.85m above water level and will continue for another 10m. This part of the deck has a freeboard height of 0.85m and is for berthing medium sized vessels. The pontoon then steps down to the concrete pontoon deck which has a freeboard height of 0.5m for small vessel berthing and will have a 3m wide deck. Both front and back sides of the pontoon can be used by smaller vessels;
- A pile will also be installed both upstream and downstream of the pontoon to assist with berthing by larger vessels;
- There will be a non-slip type ramp down to the deck level from the gangway access platform (which is 1.2m above water level);
- All sides of the pontoon will have heavy duty rubber fenders including the platforms for vessel berthing;
- Heavy duty bollards and mooring cleats will be provided at appropriate locations; and
- Lighting will be provided throughout the pontoon and gangway for pedestrian access standards using mains power.
Project time frames
|Grant funding announcement||9 February 2017||Completed|
|Deed of agreement executed||15 February 2017||Completed|
|Concept design public consultation completed||Completed|
|Concept design and specification completed||22 December 2017||Completed|
|Environmental and development approval obtained||19 September 2017||Completed|
|Tenders invited||September 2018||Completed|
|Tenders close||Mid-October 2018||Completed|
|Tender assessment||3-4 weeks||Completed|
|Tender awarded||November 2018||Completed|
|Construction started||March 2019||Completed|
|Construction completed||July 2019||Completed|
Note: Project timeframes are subject to contract and weather and may change.