Stay up to date with the latest Council media releases below.
Priority projects for Hinkler Regional Deal identified
30 January, 2019
Enhancing the Urangan Harbour, expanding the local university campus, and developing Hervey Bay’s CBD and sports precinct are among almost 30 priority projects identified by the Fraser Coast Regional Council for consideration as part of the Hinkler Regional Deal.
The Hinkler Regional Deal for the Bundaberg – Hervey Bay region is a Federal Government initiative that seeks to bring together all levels of government to build on the area’s strengths to provide economic growth and long-term employment.
Council’s list of priority projects were approved at a special meeting today ahead of Regional Deal negotiation workshops being held with Federal and State Government representatives in coming weeks.
Fraser Coast Mayor George Seymour said the list of priority projects had been developed in consultation with key local community and business representatives.
“The Fraser Coast is a dynamic and vibrant region with both challenges and opportunities, and it is hoped the Regional Deal will help us to reach our full potential, attract new investment and drive improved employment outcomes,” he said.
“We are putting forward a diverse range of projects that would help grow our local economy, improve our resilience and ensure the area is a destination of choice for generations to come.”
Priority projects put forward include, but are not limited to:
- Delivering the Hervey Bay CBD Master Plan, including developing a new council administration building and enhancing the cultural precinct;
- Expanding the University of the Sunshine Coast Fraser Coast campus and developing tertiary student accommodation in the CBD to attract more domestic and international students;
- Rejuvenating the Urangan Harbour and expanding the marine industry, including establishing a centre of marine excellence;
- Developing the next stages of the Fraser Coast Sports and Recreation Precinct to potentially host athletics, rugby league, rugby union and AFL, and to create an indoor sports complex;
- Boundary Road extension, which is a key missing link in the Fraser Coast’s road network – an east/west corridor providing connectivity to Urangan and Hervey Bay Airport; and
- Disaster Co-ordination Centre to improve response times, foster cross-government co-ordination and ensure the efficient use of resources in emergency situations.