Stay up to date with the latest Council media releases below.
Road closures for a weekend of big events on Fraser Coast
10 September 2019
A huge weekend of events is planned for the Fraser Coast which will result in changes to traffic flows.
Maryborough will host the two-day Fraser Coast Technology challenge which includes:
- RACQ 24 hour Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) Championship;
- Primary Pushcarts Championship;
- Solar-powered Model Boat Championships;
- CO2 Dragster Championships;
- Robotics Challenge; and,
- Drone Racing.
The flagship event is a 24-hour-race by teams of high school students in pedal-powered vehicles on a 1.52km street circuit around the Maryborough High School.
The winner is the team that clocks up the most kilometres travelled in the 24 hours from noon on Saturday, September 14 to noon on Sunday, September 15.
The circuit, which includes parts of Ferry Street, Kent Street, John Street and Sussex Street and the McDowell Carpark, will be closed for the weekend.
- Ferry Street will be closed to through traffic between Alice and Walker Streets.
- Kent Street will be closed to all through traffic at Lennox and Ferry Streets.
- John Street between Kent and Sussex Streets will be closed. Pedestrian access will be maintained to the swimming pool.
- The westbound lane of Sussex Street, between John and Ferry Streets, will be closed to all traffic and parking will be prohibited on the entire section. The northern side will be open to eastbound traffic only in order to provide access to private properties.
- McDowell Carpark will be closed from Thursday, September 12.
In Hervey Bay on Saturday, September 14, the section of the Esplanade bordering the Seafront Oval will be closed for the Pialba Precinct Open Day - a free family fun day to celebrate the opening of the revamped oval and skate park area.
The Esplanade between the Main Street roundabout and the entrance to the All Ability Playground car park will be closed for the celebrations.
The open day will run from about 1pm to 7pm, with a range of activities such as a skate park party and inflatable sports events held throughout the afternoon and finishing with a screening of a free movie – “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” - on the big screen from 5pm.