Maryborough and Hervey Bay bus stops upgraded
Fifteen bus stops in Hervey Bay and Maryborough are being upgraded to provide better access for people with disabilities.
Fraser Coast Mayor George Seymour said public transport was an important alternative to travelling by car with Wide Bay Transit operating a range of bus routes within and between Hervey Bay and Maryborough.
“While the number of passengers on buses has dropped during the coronavirus pandemic as everyone limited their travel, it’s important to have the services available and accessible bus stops ready as restrictions ease,” he said.
“The scope of works will vary at the different bus stops but will include the removal and disposal of existing bus stop foundations, the replacement of or additions to the existing concrete slab, and the installation of new bus shelters with landscaping and access works.
“The $397,000 project is being completed to ensure the bus stops comply with the Disability Discrimination Act and is being funded through the Queensland Government’s Bus Stop Shelter Program and Passenger Transport Accessible Infrastructure Program.
“We thank everyone for their patience and understanding while these important works are carried out over the next few weeks.”
Member for Maryborough, Bruce Saunders, has been anticipating work commencing on the bus shelters and said it was good to hear it was now starting.
“This is great news and will be warmly met by many in our community,” Mr Saunders said.
“This will encourage more locals to make the switch to affordable public transport.
“This funding delivered by the Palaszczuk Government will help shield passengers from the elements. Our Bus Stop Shelter Program means more shade and more protection from the weather for passengers waiting to board buses on our public transport network.”
The bus stops being upgraded are located on or near the following locations:
- Sempfs Road, Palm Way, Dundowran;
- Sempfs Road, Panorama Drive, Dundowran;
- Boat Harbour Drive, Honiton Street (south), Urangan;
- Boat Harbour Drive, Honiton Street (north), Urangan;
- Boat Harbour Drive, Robert Street, Urangan;
- Boat Harbour Drive, Taylor Street, Scarness;
- Boat Harbour Drive, Queens Street, Scarness;
- Aimee Drive, Urangan;
- Alice Street, Maryborough;
- Bushnell Street, Granville;
- Gayndah Road, Maryborough West;
- Gympie Road, Tinana;
- Kent Street, Maryborough;
- Sussex Street, Maryborough;
- Wilson Street, Maryborough.