Stage 2 - Context Analysis and Options Review in now available here
The commencement of The Fraser Coast Planning Scheme 2014 (commenced 28 January, 2014) introduced changes to land use zones within the Urangan South locality. The land uses zones have generally allowed for smaller lot sizes which have led to a large number of infill subdivisions.
To ensure a sustainable settlement pattern that is supported by appropriate urban infrastructure services Council has engaged an external consultant to prepare a Local Area Plan for the locality.
The Local Area Plan aims to guide the preferred type, form, sequencing and character of future development in the plan area. The plan will integrate the following considerations:
- Community (eg. values, feedback)
- Environment (eg. flooding, natural features, vegetation)
- Infrastructure (eg. sewer, water, roads)
- Land use (eg. zoning, existing uses)
- Local context and character (eg. streetscape, housing types)
The extent of the Urangan South locality is bound by Boundary Road to the north, Hughes Road to the west, the property boundaries adjoining the Hervey Bay airport to the south and Walkers Road to the east.
The total area of the defined Urangan South locality is 137.3 hectares including internal roads and drainage corridors. There is a mix of sewered and unsewered lots, ranging in size from approximately 800m2 to 3.6 hectares.
Zoning differences between the Hervey Bay Planning Scheme 2006 and the Fraser Coast Planning Scheme 2014
Zoning under the Hervey Bay Planning Scheme 2006
- The majority of the locality formed part of the Emerging Community Zone;
- The balance of lots being located in either Park Residential Zone or Rural Residential Zone; and
- A single lot in the Special Purposes 2 (Government Purposes) Zone as shown on the superseded zone map below.
The minimum lot sizes for new lots were:
- Emerging Communities – 50ha
- Park Residential – 2000m2
- Rural Residential – 2ha
Current zoning under the Fraser Coast Planning Scheme 2014
Under the Fraser Coast Planning Scheme 2014:
- The majority of the locality is within the Low Density Residential Zone which generally allows for smaller lots (between 500m2 if sewered and 2000m2 if not sewered). Approximately 250 lots have been approved in the area to date since 2014.
- There are a number of lots that are zoned Limited Development (Constrained Land) Zone which restricts most development due to either the Public Safety Area of the Hervey Bay Airport or the Pugul Waste Water Treatment Plant Odour Buffer.
- There is a couple of very narrow drainage corridors located within the locality that are located within the Open Space Zone. There is one lot in the Community Facilities Zone (CF2).
An external consultant has been engaged to assist Council with the development of the Local Area Plan.
Once the plan is endorsed by Council, amendments to the Fraser Coast Scheme 2014 will be undertaken with a timeframe of 6-18 months. Please note that until amendments to the planning scheme are adopted, the current planning scheme provisions will continue to apply.
|Stage||Summary of key tasks||Estimated timeframes|
|Stage 1 - Commencement and scoping|| ||End June 2018|
Stage 2 - Development Area Context Analysis
Outputs: Context Analysis and Options Review
|End October 2018|
|Stage 3 - Draft structure plan design and structure plan report preparation|| |
Note - The structure plan is a large document which provides the required background information for the project. This informs the Local Area Plan in Stage 6 which condenses the background information into clear policies that can be used by the community.
|End January 2019|
|Stage 4 - Consultation|| ||March 2019|
Stage 5 - Final Structure Plan
| ||End June 2019|
|Stage 6 - Local Area Plan|| ||End July 2019|
What is a Local Area Plan?
A Local Area Plan is a planning document which identifies the preferred types of development for an area and where they should be located. It is developed from a structure plan which is a large document that provides background information on the area. The Local Area Plan condenses the background information into clear policies that can be used by the community.
Local Area Plans are developed to provide focused planning guidance for local areas to achieve the following:
- a shared vision for the local area;
- address key local planning issues;
- establishment of an integrated approach to local planning; and
- a sensible management of future development outcomes.
Examples of existing Local Area Plans on the Fraser Coast can be found by clicking here.
Have your say
Council welcomes your suggestions and engagement. The information collected will help influence the next stages of this project.
Details of community engagement activities are provided in the table below.
|Type of engagement||Date/Time/Location|
Stage 2 - Survey
|A survey was open to the public between 10-24 August, 2018 |
Summary of survey results
Stage 2 - Community engagement forum No.1
Urangan Community Centre, Botanic Gardens, Elizabeth Street, Urangan
A community engagement forum was held on the 19 September 2018. Over 45 people attended the forum providing valuable feedback and comments to Council.
Stage 4 - Community information session
To register your attendance at the Stage 4 Community Information Session or for enquiries email email@example.com or phone 1300 79 49 29.