Recycling is the process of creating new products from old materials.
It is one of the easiest ways to reduce the amount of waste that is sent to landfill.
Recycling is good for the environment, the economy and the local community.
Recycling Centre sale shops
Council operates recycling centre sale shops at the Saltwater Creek Road Landfill and the Nikenbah Transfer Station.
The opening hours are:
- Maryborough Sales Shop - Wednesday, Friday, Sunday from 8am to 4pm
- Nikenbah Sales Shop - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday from 8am to 4pm
The Market Sales Shops are closed on Good Friday and Anzac Day.
These items CAN be recycled
- Newspaper, paper, magazines and brochures
- Cardboard boxes
- Glass bottles and jars (no lids)
- Milk, soft drink and water bottles (no lids)
- Steel and aluminium cans and empty aerosols
- Rigid plastic containers and bottles from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry (no lids)
Not all products with a recycle symbol can be recycled at our MRF, so remember to check the Recycling Fact Sheet (PDF,kB)
These items CANNOT be recycled
- Polystyrene foam
- Wax coated cartons (eg milk cartons)
- Takeaway coffee cups and lids
- Foil lined cartons (eg tetra paks)
- Aluminium trays (eg pie tray)
- Light globes, mirrors and window glass
- Food scraps
- Ceramics, crockery and glasses
- Chemicals and pesticides
- Soil, rocks, grass or tree cuttings
- Gas bottles, batteries, paint and oil
- Syringes and medical waste
- Plastic bags, packets and film
- No bagging - never bag recycling or put it inside a box. Always place recycling items loose in the bin.
- Rinse and squash - give recyclable containers (jars, bottles) a quick rinse in old washing up water and squash before placing them in the recycling bin.
- Remove lids - take lids off plastic bottles and glass items before placing them in the recycling bin.
- Green waste - up to 4.3 or 1 tonne can be disposed of at all Council tips and transfer stations free of charge. Branches, limbs and trunks are to be no more than 1200mm in length and 400mm in diameter. Anything greater than this size may incur a disposal charge.
- Liquid waste - the only liquid waste accepted for recycling is motor oil and cooking oil. These can only be accepted at the Granville, Maryborough and Tinana sites. Gatehouse staff can advise of where the oils can be placed.
Planet Ark has provided two free apps that can be downloaded from Itunes or Google Play.
- Recycle Smart - lets you know what can be recycled at the MRF.
- Recyle Right - test your recycling skills
For further information, please contact Fraser Coast Waste on 1300 79 49 29.