Recycling is the process of creating new products from old materials.
It is one of the easiest ways to reduce the amount of waste that is sent to landfill however contamination can make your recycling efforts go to waste. For more details click here.
Recycling is good for the environment, the economy and the local community.
To see where your recycling and waste goes click here.
Bin it right - know what goes
The A-Z Waste Guide Index (PDF,123kB) provides assistance in knowing what goes where for your waste and recycling.
Recycling at transfer stations or tips
Fraser Coast Waste offers residents free disposal of the following items at any of the tips or transfer stations in the region.
For more information download the Recycling at Transfer Stations or Tips Fact Sheet(PDF,1.4MB)
Click here for a comprehensive list of items and where they can be disposed of.
Council operates reuse markets at the Maryborough Waste Facility and the Hervey Bay Waste Facility.
The opening hours are:
- Maryborough Reuse Market - Wednesday, Friday, Sunday from 8am to 4pm
- Hervey Bay Reuse Market- Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday from 8am to 4pm
The Resuse Market are closed on Good Friday and Anzac Day.
These items CAN be recycled
- Newspaper, paper, magazines and brochures
- Cardboard boxes
- Glass bottles and jars (no lids)
- Milk, soft drink and water bottles (no lids)
- Steel and aluminium cans and empty aerosols
- Rigid plastic containers and bottles from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry (no lids)
Not all products with a recycle symbol can be recycled at our MRF, so remember to check the Recycling Fact Sheet (PDF,1.6MB)
These items CANNOT be recycled
- Polystyrene foam
- Wax coated cartons (eg milk cartons)
- Takeaway coffee cups and lids
- Aluminium trays (eg pie tray)
- Light globes, mirrors and window glass
- Food scraps
- Ceramics, crockery and glasses
- Chemicals and pesticides
- Soil, rocks, grass or tree cuttings
- Gas bottles, batteries, paint and oil
- Syringes and medical waste
- Plastic bags, packets and film
- No bagging - never bag recycling or put it inside a box. Always place recycling items loose in the bin.
- Rinse and squash - give recyclable containers (jars, bottles) a quick rinse in old washing up water and squash before placing them in the recycling bin.
- Remove lids - take lids off plastic bottles and glass items before placing them in the recycling bin.
- Green waste - up to 4.3 or 1 tonne can be disposed of at all Council tips and transfer stations free of charge. Branches, limbs and trunks are to be no more than 1200mm in length and 400mm in diameter. Anything greater than this size may incur a disposal charge.
- Liquid waste - the only liquid waste accepted for recycling is motor oil and cooking oil. These can only be accepted at the Granville, Maryborough and Tinana sites. Gatehouse staff can advise of where the oils can be placed.
Planet Ark has provided two free apps that can be downloaded from Itunes or Google Play.
- Recycle Smart - lets you know what can be recycled at the MRF.
- Recyle Right - test your recycling skills
Waste services mapping
View your bin day, waste collection areas, waste facility locations and other data related to waste services by using the online waste services mapping tool.
For further information, please contact Fraser Coast Waste on 1300 79 49 29.