Fraser Coast Regional Council logoFraser Coast Regional Council

Animal management Animal management

The keeping of animals in the Fraser Coast region is governed by local laws.

Desexing program

From 1 May 2016, it is compulsory for cats and dogs to be desexed when they are:

  • sold;
  • given away;
  • if registration lapses and the animal was first registered post 1 May, 2016; and
  • when impounded or registered for the first time.

The desexing program has been introduced to cut the number of unwanted pets going to pounds and being euthanised.

In 2015, more than 900 dogs and 450 cats were impounded on the Fraser Coast.
Compulsory cat desexing was introduced in 2013.

Compulsory desexing was identified during public consultation as part of Council’s Local Law review.

Owners who do not desex and register their pets can be fined.




For information regarding dogs click here.

Cat registration refund

Cat registration refunds

All cat registration fees are due to be refunded to animal owners for any payments made after 1 July 2014. The below frequently asked questions will assist in information on timeframes for processing.

Who is receiving the refunds first?
The first round of cat registration refunds have been issued to owners with cats that have had their registrations paid for the last two (2) years, with no change of ownership. This was done to ensure that cheques were mailed to the current animal owners/addresses. 

I have not received my refund yet – when can I expect it? 
If you have paid your registration for any of your cats in the last two (2) years and at least one of them is still active on our system, your refund will be received over the course of the next few weeks.

My cat has changed ownership since 2014 – how will the refund be processed?
Refunds will be processed and issued to whichever animal owner was listed at the time of registration payment. 

I am no longer in the area but have paid registrations for my cats. How do I let you know of my new address?
Contact Customer Service on 1300 79 49 29 to advise of your details. 

My cat/s has passed away but I am still in the area. How do I let you know of my address for refund?
Contact Customer Service on 1300 79 49 29.

I haven’t received my refund yet – can I opt for this to be direct deposited into my account?
Unfortunately, all refunds are being issued as cheques payable to the animal owner. There is also no option to transfer to your rates account.

I received an infringement for my cat registration – will I have fees associated with this refunded to me? 
Yes – we are aiming to refund fees associated with infringements by the end of November.

Council's appreciates your patience in processing your refund, should you require further clarification, please contact Customer Service on 1300 79 49 29.  

Cat traps

Cat traps are available for hire from the Hervey Bay and Maryborough refuges.

Additional cats and dogs

Animal owners who wish to keep more than the allowed maximum number of cats and dogs on a property need to apply for an approval to keep an additional animal and will be subject to an approval process. Part of the approval process includes submitting the written consent of all adjoining neighbours of the property, and if the registered animal owner does not own the property, a letter of consent by the property owner.

In the case of a dog, that is not a working dog, an approval is required -

  1. to keep 3 or more cats or dogs over the age of 3 months on any property;  or
  2. to keep 2 or more cats or dogs over the age of 3 months on any residential unit (residential development comprising multiple units on a single lot), multiple dwellings, Accommodation Units, Caravan Park, Retirement Village: or
  3. to keep more than 6 racing Greyhounds registered with Racing Queensland over the age of 3 months on a property.

For information on how to register – refer to the ‘Registration section

Number of animals per property

Council is committed to promoting responsible domestic pet ownership.  The number of dogs, cats, chickens, roosters, pigeons and doves you can have is dependent on the size of your property.

The number of animals you can keep is regulated by Council's local laws.

Animals must be kept in a way that does not cause a noise, smell or wandering nuisance to others.

Registration of an animal does not automatically ensure that the animal is permitted to be kept on a property.

If you would like to keep an animal on your property other than a cat or dog please contact Council to find out if a permit is required.

Fact sheet - Number of animals per property(PDF,723kB) 

Importance of registering and microchipping

Making sure your pet is registered and microchipped will ensure your pet is returned home quickly if it happens to escape the yard.

Council is focussed on reuniting pets with their owners and uses the registration tag or microchip information to find their owners. Animals taken into Council’s care are advertised on Council's 
Lost pets webpage and the Pound facebook page.

If a pet is unregistered and the owner cannot be found after three days, the animal is assessed for suitability of rehousing and in Hervey Bay offered to the Hervey Bay Adoption Centre, or in Maryborough offered to the Maryborough Animal Refuge. The animal may also end up being offered to one of the other Fraser Coast Animal Welfare groups.

If a pet is registered every effort will be made to reunite the animal with its owner. Sadly ‘in some circumstances’ the owner cannot be found, in these cases after five days the animal will be assessed for suitability of rehousing following the same rehoming process as for unregistered animals above.

Wandering livestock

Council will not respond to or become involved with incidents of wandering livestock on State-controlled roads in the Fraser Coast Local Government Area (LGA).

Responsibility for wandering livestock on State-controlled roads on the Fraser Coast lies with the person(s) who own(s) or has care and control of the stock, and with the relevant State government agencies.

The Federal and State Roads affected by this process include:

  • Bruce Highway
  • Maryborough - Biggenden Road
  • Boompa Road
  • Bauple - Woolooga Road
  • Cooloola Coast Road
  • Mungar Road
  • Maryborough - Hervey Bay Road
  • Torbanlea - Pialba Road
  • Burrum Heads Road
  • Pialba - Burrum Heads Road
  • Booral Road

In the first instance wandering livestock should be reported to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) Traffic Report on 13 19 40 and Police for actioning.

For wandering livestock on all other roads in the Fraser Coast region, please contact Council.



Magpie season can run anywhere between June and December each year.

As magpies are protected wildlife, Council is unable to relocate magpies from their natural habitats.

All concerns regarding menacing magpie activity should be referred to a licenced operator who can remove and relocate the magpies.

Further information can be obtained from the DEHP website.

Marine wildlife

If you see stranded marine wildlife, please contact the Marine Stranded Animals hotline on 1300 360 898.


Council does not remove or deal with snakes.  Please refer to a local directory for details on snakes catchers within our region.

Contact us Contact us

For further information, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 1300 79 49 29 or email