If you keep animals on the Fraser Coast they must be kept in accordance with State Legislation and our local laws.

As of 1st July 2020, all new dog registrations regardless of age are FREE to register for the first time! Simply complete a new animal registration form and submit to Council….that’s it!

Registration period runs from 1st November until 31st October with renewal notices issued in October. Registration details must remain up to date including but not limited to residential address, contact details and relevant animal details.

Animal owners MUST be 18+ years of age. Registering does not exempt owners from the requirement to microchip or de-sex.

For additional information, please refer to the factsheet below

Requirements for Keeping Dogs on the Fraser Coast

  • From 1 May 2016, it is compulsory for cats and dogs to be desexed when they are sold, given away, if registration lapses, when impounded or registered for the first time.

    The desexing program has been introduced to cut the number of unwanted pets going to pounds and being euthanised.

    In 2015, more than 900 dogs and 450 cats were impounded on the Fraser Coast.
    Compulsory cat desexing was introduced in 2013.

    Compulsory dog desexing was identified during public consultation as part of Council’s Local Law review.

    Owners who do not desex and register their pets can be fined.

    Please email a copy of the sterilisation certificate to to advise Council if your animal has been desexed or submit a copy of the sterilisation certificate to one of Council’s Customer Service Centres.


  • Council provides a number of dog off-leash areas (PDF, 443kB) along the foreshore across the Fraser Coast.  

    These areas provide the opportunity to play, exercise and socialise leash-free with other dogs and dog park visitors.

    Dog off-leash areas can include facilities such as seating, water, dog waste bins/litter bag dispensers and some shaded areas.

    For more information, visit the designated off-leash areas dog off-leash areas webpage.

  • It is acknowledged dogs will occasionally bark.  Dog owners are responsible for appropriately controlling and containing their dog so it does not unduly impact the surrounding community in accordance with Council’s Local Laws.

    In accordance with the local law, an owner or responsible person must ensure the animal does not: 

    (a) Cause a nuisance; or 

    (b) Create a reasonable apprehension in the minds of other persons of a significant risk to the health and safety of persons or animals.

    Animal noise is a nuisance if it:

    (a) Is made by a domestic animal; and

    (b) Occurs more than once; and

    (c) In the opinion of an authorised person unreasonably disrupts or inhibits an activity ordinarily carried out on a premise.

    For further information, please refer to Council’s Barking Dogs fact sheet (PDF).

    Some things to do if your dog barks:

    • Walk your dog twice a day to relieve boredom
    • Provide some stimulants like balls and chew toys
    • Leave a radio on 
    • Give your dog a small meal just before you leave home
    • Use a low tone matter of fact voice when you speak to your dog
  • Domestic Greyhounds

    Animal owners can keep up to two (2) domestic (non-racing) greyhounds, over the age of three months, on a property, or one (1) domestic (non-racing) greyhound, over the age of three months, on any residential unit (residential development comprising multiple units on a single lot), multiple dwellings, accommodation units, caravan park, retirement village.

    Animal owners are required to complete and submit to Council an application for Animal Registration

    Racing Greyhounds

    An animal owner can keep up to six (6) racing greyhounds on a property at any one time and are required to complete an Application to register up to 6 Racing Greyhounds (PDF) application form. Racing greyhounds should be registered with the Greyhound Racing Authority of Queensland.

    Where registered racing Greyhounds are kept on a premises they must be kept in accordance with Racing Queensland - Local Rules of Racing:

    • Racing Greyhounds must be muzzled in a public place as per Greyhound Racing Queensland regulations.
    • De-commissioned Greyhounds (as per Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008,  are not required to be muzzled under current Fraser Coast Regional Council Local Law. 

    If an animal owner wishes to keep more than 6 racing greyhounds, an Approval to keep an additional Racing Greyhound (PDF,160kB) application form will need to be completed and submitted to Council which will go through an assessment process.

  • Council regulates the use of guard dogs on commercial premises. A guard dog approval is required for using a dog which is released on commercial premises without a handler for the purpose of acting as a deterrent to intruders.

    If the animal owner is not the commercial premises owner, approval by the premises owner must be sought.

    Animal owners are required to complete and submit to Council an application for Approval to keep a guard dog (PDF,123kB).

  • Guide/Hearing Dogs

    Owners with sight or hearing disabilities can apply to have a Guide/Hearing dog, and once approved, are exempt from Council registration fees.

    To be eligible, the animal owner will need to apply for a Guide/Hearing dog through State Government, and if approved will be issued with an Identify Card.  Guide/Hearing animal owners will need to produce their Identify Card upon registering with Council to be eligible for free registration.

    When leaving home, Guide/Hearing owners will need to clearly and visibly display their Identify Card and ensure the Guide/Hearing dog is wearing a harness or identifying coat.

    Assistance Dogs

    In 2016/17 Council acknowledged the importance of Assistance Dogs. All assistance dogs which are registered and certified under the State Act, will receive free registration. Assistance dog owners will need to apply through State Government, and once approved will be issued with an Identity Card. Assistance dog owners will need to produce their Identify Card upon registering with Council to be eligible for free registration.

    When leaving home, Assistance Dog owners will need to clearly display their Identify Card and ensure the Assistance Dog is wearing an identifying coat.

    Types of Assistance Dogs include:

    • Physical Disability Service Dog
    • Autism Service Dog
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Service Dog
    • Dogs4Dementia
    • Educational Support Dog
    • Facility Support Dog

    Guide/Hearing or Assistance dogs must be registered with Council, but are exempt from registration fees.

    To apply please complete the Approval to keep a Guide/Hearing or Assistance Dog Application Form (PDF,434kB)

    Guide/Hearing or Assistance dogs will receive a Council registration tag.

    For more information and/or how to apply visit: and click on 'Apply for a Dog' or phone 1800 688 364;  or contact Department of Communities Child Safety and Disability Services on T: 13 74 68 or TTY: 133 677 (if hearing impaired).

    To apply for a Guide/Hearing or Assistance dog, please refer to the registrations page.

  • The following dogs (including cross-breeds) are prohibited within the  Fraser Coast boundaries:

    • American pit-bull
    • Dog Argentino
    • Filo Brasileiro
    • Japanese tosa
  • If you are having an issue with wild dogs or dingoes, please contact Council.

  • Working dogs are required to be registered with Council, and upon approval are exempt from registration fees. Approved Working dogs will receive a Council registration tag. Working dogs that are not approved will need to be registered as a domestic dog.

    To be eligible to register a Working Dog with Council, the animal owner must meet the below definitions.

    The definition in the Act states a Working dog – means a dog usually kept or proposed to be kept:

    1. On rural land; and
    2. by an owner who is a primary producer, or a person engaged or employed by a primary producer; and
    3. primarily for the purpose of droving –
      1. protecting, tending, or working stock; or
      2. being trained in droving, protecting, tending, or working stock; and
    4. does not include a class of dog prescribed under a regulation.

    This could also include a person that does not own any stock, but is primarily engaged in the business of working with stock.

    Primary Producer - means a person primarily engaged in the occupation of a) dairy farmer; or wheat, maize, or cereal grower; or cane grower; or fruit grower; or grazier; or farmer, whether engaged in general or mixed farming, cotton, potato, or vegetable growing, or poultry or pig raising;  and  b) includes a person engaged in primary production.

    Please refer to the Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008 for full definition

    To apply for a working dog, please refer to the registrations page.