Animal registration

  • The keeping of animals in the Fraser Coast region is governed by the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and Council’s local laws.


    From 1 July 2020, free registration is available for first-time registrations only (excluding impounded dogs), no matter the age of the animal. Free registration is provided up to the end of the current renewal period for animals, being 31 October each year (excludes impounded animals).


    It is compulsory for dogs to be:

    1. Registered with Council, from twelve (12) weeks of age.
    2. Microchipped, before twelve (12) weeks of age.
    3. Registered with Council within 14 days of keeping the dog.  
    4. Registered at their ‘kept at address’.  

    For ‘New' animals:  Complete an Application to register a dog and submit it at any of Council's Customer Service Centres

  • Council has adopted the Animal Desexing Reimbursement Incentive Policy to provide reimbursement of some costs associated with the desexing of cats and dogs.  

    The policy provides eligible pet owners with a $100 rebate for dogs and a $50 rebate for cats that have recently been desexed.

    ***Council has expanded the desexing rebate to all local residents who desex their pets in July 2024. Pet owners can submit their applications and leave the concession card details blank. The application is required to be submitted within 60 days of desexing.***

    Application form Information sheet

    To apply, please complete the application form and submit with all required supporting documentation at Council's Customer Service Centres or by emailing to

  • Changing your current registration details

    In accordance with section 54(3) of the Act, it is an offence not to update your registration details with Council within 7 days of the change.

    This includes: 

    • Change to the 'kept at' address.
    • Change to your personal details (phone, mailing address, email).
    • If your animal has been recently de-sexed.
    • If your animal has recently been microchipped.
    • If you are relocating or giving your animal away.
    • The death of your registered animal.

    To notify us of any of the above changes, please complete the relevant online form located at bottom of the Animal Registration page.

    Please note that we will require one entry per animal. Multiple animals cannot be submitted on one form.

  • Relocation, re-homing, or death of a registered dog

    A refund or transfer of registration fees will not be provided upon the death or relocation of an animal outside the Fraser Coast area.

    Notify Council if you are relocating, if your dog has passed away, or if you have re-homed a registered dog by completing the online form below, or visit one of Council's Customer Service Centres. 

    ONLINE FORM - Relocation, deceased, given away

    • Dog registration is yearly.
    • A renewal will be sent to you via post or email.
    • You will have 30 days to pay the renewal notice in full. Part payments and payment plans are not accepted.
    • Your dog is not considered registered until full payment has been made for that current registration period.

    Renewing registration accounts

    Payment options are shown on the renewal account, and include: in person at our Customer Service Centres; credit card; mail (cheque); BPAY; Post Billpay

    REMINDER: When making payment – please ensure the unique reference number (one number per animal)
    is quoted to allow payment to be allocated to the correct animal record.

    Overdue Renewals

    If your renewal account is overdue, you can pay your account using your Visa/Mastercard (no surcharge) with the reference number on your notice.

    BPAY Code: 838847 (from your savings/cheque account) Reference Number: as shown on your notice (Contact Council if you need to obtain this)

    Billpay Code: 2426 (Visa/Mastercard on our Australia Post portal) Reference Number: as shown on your notice (Contact Council if you need to obtain this)

    Click here to pay online, or call 1300 361 496.

  • Animal owners who wish to keep more than the allowed maximum number of cats and dogs on a property need to apply for approval to keep an additional animal and will be subject to an approval process.

    Approval is required as per table below:

    Animal Property Land Size
    Square metre

    Residential unit or
    < 600 sqm
    < 0.06 ha
    < 0.15 ac

    600 sqm - 2,000 sqm
    0.06 ha - 0.2 ha
    0.15 ac to 0.5 ac

    2,000 sqm - 10,000 sqm.
    0.2 ha - 1 ha
    0.5 ac - 2.5 ac
    > 10,000 sqm

    > 1 ha
    > 2.5 ac
    Noisy bird 1 1 1 No restrictions

    Bee hives
    *Native bees

    0 2 hives 6 hives No restrictions
    Poultry 0 6 poultry 12 poultry No restrictions
    Pigeons, doves and roosters 0 0 Approval required No restrictions
    Cats 2 + Approved Additional's 2 + Approved Additional's 2 + Approved Additional's No restrictions
    Dogs 1 + 1 Approved Additional 2 + 1 Approved Additional 3 + 1 Approved Additional No restrictions
    Horse, donkey, camel, alpaca, deer, llama, sheep, goat, cow, bull, stallion, ostrich, emu, peacock and pig 0 0 0 No restrictions

    Please complete and submit the relevant application form and supporting documentation at one of our Customer Service Centres. Fees are payable on application. 

    Approval to keep an additional cat or dog

    Approval to keep additional racing greyhounds

    Application to register up to six (6) racing greyhounds

    Fact Sheet - Domestic Animals - How many can I have on my property

    Are you a foster carer? Foster carers are required to be part of a registered animal charity.  The Foster carer can have a maximum of 8 animals per property made up of no more than 4 dogs or 4 cats – this does include their own animals.  Dogs in foster care are required to be registered with the foster carer being recorded as an Alternative Contact on a New Animal Registration Form and the Rescue/Refuge group as the Animal Owner.  The Fraser Coast Adoption Centre does not offer foster care, if you are interested in fostering, please reach out to one of the local rescue groups. 

  • Guide/Hearing or Assistance Dogs

    Guide/Hearing or Assistance dogs are required to be registered with Council, there is certain criteria to meet when applying. If approved, the dog will be exempt from registration fees.  Approved Guide/Hearing or Assistance dogs will receive a Council registration tag.

    To be eligible to register a Guide/Hearing or Assistance Dog, the animal owner must have a State Government issued Identity Card or certification from a licensed mental health professional. For more information on Guide, Hearing or assistance dogs visit

    Guide, hearing or assistance dogs are not to be confused with a therapy/emotional support/companion dogs. Such dogs are not considered as an assistance or service dog, as the owner may not have a disability and/or the dog has not been trained to undertake specific, identifiable tasks and behaviours to reduce the person's need for support. The dog is therefore not recognised under the Guide, Hearing and Assistance Dogs Act 2009.

    For approval to keep a Guide/Hearing or Assistance Dog, complete this form.

    Working Dogs

    Working dogs are required to be registered with Council, and upon approval are exempt from registration fees.
    Approved Working dogs will receive a Council registration tag. If you have not applied for a working dog status your animal is considered to be a domestic dog and requires registration.

    To be eligible to register a Working Dog, the animal must meet the below definitions:

    • A dog usually kept or proposed to be kept on rural land; and
    • A dog usually kept by an owner who is a primary producer, or a person engaged or employed by a primary producer; and
    • A dog primarily kept for the purpose of droving – protecting, tending, or working stock; or
    • A dog being trained in droving, protecting, tending, or working stock; and
    • Does not include a class of dog prescribed under a regulation.

    Primary Producer - means a person primarily engaged in the occupation of;
    a) dairy farmer; wheat, maize, cereal grower; cane grower; fruit grower; grazier; farmer, engaged in general or mixed farming, cotton, potato, vegetable growing, or poultry or pig raising; and  
    b) includes a person engaged in primary production.

    For Working Dog status approval, complete this application.

    Domestic and Racing Greyhounds

    Approval is required for keeping Racing Greyhounds registered with Racing Queensland over the age of 3 months on a property. Detailed information for keeping greyhounds is available here.

    To register please complete the relevant application form below.

    Submit all application forms at one of our Customer Service Centres, applicable fees are payable on application. 

  • Cat registration is not required on the Fraser Coast.

    You are required to apply for keeping additional cats if you have more than 2 cats per house or 1 cat per unit.  

    For more information on how to apply click here.

    Cat traps are available for hire from the Fraser Coast Adoption Centre, call 1300 79 49 29.

Contact us

If you would like more information, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 79 49 29.

Animals and Pets