Breeders permit

Fraser Coast Regional Council with Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) promotes responsible cat and dog breeding, through the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and Local Laws No 2 Animal Management 2011.

Before the Fraser Coast Regional Council can accept a breeder’s application you must register with DAF as a breeder via their portal to obtain a Breeder Identification Number (BIN), which is your Supply Number that you must display when you give away, supply, sell or advertise your cat or dog progeny.

Once you have your BIN number, you may make application to Council for a breeder’s permit complete the Annual Breeders permit approval form (PDF).  Council’s Breeder application fee and annual fee is in accordance with the Fees & Charges Schedule and is non-transferable to another cat, dog or property.

In accordance with Council’s Local Laws, permits expire on 30 June each year, and an annual renewal fee applies. 

Information can be located on the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries website relating to animal welfare standards, compliance, registered as dog breeder, selling and supply of animals. To vistit click here

The responsibilities of an animal owner with a Breeder Permit

  1. The animal owner must provide Council with the completed Breeding Record Form (PDF, 280kB) (obtained after application is approved) within 2 weeks of the birth of the offspring.
  2. It must include all female and male offspring. Council will then record all offspring and issue the animal owner with sale of progeny form for each animal.
  3. The animal owner must complete the applicable 'Sale of Progeny form' for the relevant animal upon each sale and then supply Council and any offspring purchasers with a completed copy within 2 weeks of the sale.
  4. All cats and dogs must be microchipped before they are giving away, supply, sell or advertise you cat or dog progeny not before 8 weeks and not after 12 weeks. 

NOTE TO PURCHASERS - The animal is not officially registered with Council until the sale of progeny form as given to you by the animal owner is submitted to Council.

Breeder permits

In addition to the above responsibilities the animal owner must not sell or giveaway a cat or dog that is not desexed unless:

  • The purchaser is supplied with a signed veterinarian surgeon certificate for the cat or dog stating that desexing is likely to be a serious risk to the health of the animal; or
  • The cat or dog is under 22 weeks of age and the purchaser is given a veterinary surgeons voucher (paid in full) to have the cat or dog desexed; or
  • The purchaser is a member of a registered show association and the supply is for the purpose of showing or exhibiting; or
  • The cat or dog is given to a person who does not reside within the Fraser Coast region.

Failure to comply with the conditions of a "Breeder Permit" may incur a penalty.

Where can I get more information?

If you would like further information, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 79 49 29.