Assistance and advice
Council provides a variety of ways in which you can seek advice and assistance for development and planning matters. These include:
- online tools and information including PD Online;
- talking to an officer;
- requesting written information; or
- requesting a pre-lodgement meeting.
Online self-help tools have been developed and are available to provide advice on a variety of development and planning matters.
Planning Scheme information, mapping data, information sheets, development fees and charges, and application forms allow customers the ability to determine if an application is required, and to further assist when an application must be lodged with Council.
PD Online is an internet based tool linked to Council’s website, that allows applicants, businesses, developers and members of the public the ability to view and print information, and to track the progress of development applications. This is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week.
For initial or simple enquiries our Planning Technical Officers are available from 8.15am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday. Enquiry examples include: zones, overlays, setbacks, and home based business.
You can call 1300 79 49 29, or for when face-to-face contact is preferred you can visit the Maryborough or Hervey Bay Customer Service Centres.
For a formal written response to specific development enquiries, please submit your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of advice that might be sought through this process include:
- site-specific planning interpretation, such as level of assessment;
- confirmation of “generally in accordance” relating to existing approvals;
- confirmation of unlawful and lawful use rights;
- clarification of Building Local Envelope or Building Envelope requirements;
- confirmation that Liquor Licence proposal complies with relevant planning requirements; or
- fee estimate for development applications.
Requests will be reviewed by Planning Technical Officers and a response will be provided in writing via email within 10 business days.
Pre-Lodgement Meetings are suitable for site specific development proposals that require considered advice across specialist areas, or for complex development proposals. On occasion it will be necessary for the Development team to engage with other specialists within Council to obtain strategic advice or direction, and may involve State Referral Agencies.
Whilst pre-lodgement meetings are not a mandatory requirement, it is encouraged where preliminary comment and consideration is sought, assisting with an applicant’s decision to proceed with an application.
These meetings will also aim to assist applicants in submitting a well-made application, by clarifying relevant information that Council will require in the development assessment process.
Eligibility for meetings include substantial or complex development proposals (e.g. shopping centres, master planned communities, variations to the Planning Scheme, large scale subdivisions, sites with multiple constraints).
Mandatory information required when submitting a request include:
- site address and Lot/Plan;
- list of all attendees, including consultant;
- supporting information (e.g. site plans, floor plans, or reports) [electronic format]; and
- a detailed agenda (list of issues you wish to discuss/specific questions to be answered).
Contact Council's Development and Planning Department on 1300 79 49 29 for further assistance.