K'gari (Fraser Island) Waste
World heritage K'gari (Fraser Island) is located within the Fraser Coast Council waste collection area.
- General waste can be disposed of at three sites.
- Recycling is not currently available on the island, and residents and visitors are encouraged to transport recyclables to the mainland to be disposed of correctly.
- Designated areas for green waste, steel and small quantaties of bulky items are provided at each site.
Waste locations on K'gari
K’gari (Fraser Island) residents and visitors can dispose of their waste at Council’s three waste disposal sites located at:
• Orchid Beach
• Happy Valley
Before entering the waste sites at K’gari(Fraser Island), please make sure that the following conditions are met:
- Footwear must be worn at all times
- Gates to remain closed at all times
- Children are to remain in vehicle at all times
- All waste should be placed in bins or allocated areas as signed
- If bin is full, move to next bin
- Keep lids on bins closed
- No authorised lighting of fires
- No scavenging
Regulated wastes such as asbestos, engine/cooking oils and tyres must not be disposed of on K’gari (Fraser Island). These waste materials must be brought to the Maryborough Waste Facility or disposed of through a licensed regulated waste transporter.
For further information contact us on 1300 79 49 29.
Fraser Coast Regional Council recently received funding under the Australian Heritage Grants Program to develop and implement the K’gari (Fraser Island) Waste Management and Resource Recovery Strategy.
This strategy includes includes targeted actions to maintain, protect and conserve the unique World Heritage and cultural values of K’gari (Fraser Island) through sustainable waste practices.
The project aims to apply waste management and resource recovery principles that align with the Butchulla first lore “what is good for the land comes first.”