Establishment or occupation of a temporary home

Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration 2011) Schedule 8 provides the opportunity for land owners/residential caretakers to reside on their property under an establishment or occupation of a temporary home approval while their permanent dwelling is being built or to accommodate family or friends in a caravan on the dwelling allotment for up to 6 months in a 12 month period. 

Temporary home
  • Approval may be granted for landowners to reside in a temporary home on their property for the following:

    • shed or class 10a building (prior building approval required);
    • caravan or mobile home;
    • bus;
    • car, van, or other vehicle for up to six months; or
    • tent for up to three months.

    The circumstances for which approval may be granted are:

    • building and plumbing approvals have been obtained for a permanent dwelling on the property;
    • the applicant can demonstrate financial capacity and ability to construct the permanent dwelling;
    • an adequate source of potable water is available;
    • there is adequate means of waste disposal and sanitation available;
    • the temporary home is suitably screened from the street so as not to adversely affect the amenity of the area.

    Conditions will be imposed on approval and may include:

    • construction of the permanent residence is not to cease for more than three calendar months;
    • all necessary amenities are provided to the temporary homes;
    • only the owners of the property and their immediate family, including a maximum of two adults, reside in the temporary home;
    • construction of the permanent dwelling must be completed within a specified timeframe; and
    • upon completion and occupation of the permanent dwelling, the temporary home is to be de-commissioned, and in the case of a shed, the removal of all habitable rooms including the kitchen, bedroom, and living rooms.

    Complete the application form.

  • I already have a permanent residence – what about allowing my family or friends to stay in a caravan on my property?

    Council has recently amended laws on temporary homes so that owners or occupiers of an existing dwelling can allow family or friends to occupy a caravan on the dwelling allotment for up to 6 months in a 12-month period, under certain conditions.


    • No approval is required to undertake this activity, however the owner or occupier must notify council within 7 days of the commencement of the activity.
    • There must be a permanent residence on the property which has adequate means of waste disposal.
    • The caravan must be situated no less than 6 metres from the front boundary, and 3 metres from any boundary fence.
    • Occupants must have access to sanitary and laundry facilities.
    • Waste material is to be disposed of properly.

    To view out fact sheet and notification form, click here.

Contact us

For assistance please call our Customer Service Team on 1300 79 49 29.