Trade Waste

What is trade waste?

Trade waste is wastewater that is generated from commercial, industrial, trade or manufacturing activities. It is liquid waste other than from domestic origins. Wide Bay Water may accept trade waste into its sewerage system on application and for an additional charge.

Who needs trade waste approval?

If you use water in your business operations (other than for lunchrooms and bathrooms) you probably produce trade waste.

For example:

  • Fast food outlets
  • Mechanical/radiator repairs
  • Cafes or coffee shops
  • Restaurants
  • Car sales, service and repair
  • Bakeries
  • Machinery repairs
  • Butchers/Delicatessens
  • Car Washes
  • Shopping Centres
  • Factories
  • Motels
  • Fish or seafood processing
  • Hotels
  • Milk processing
  • Hostels
  • Printers
  • Laundromats
  • Schools
  • Hospitals
  • Nursing Homes
  • Ice Cream Parlours
  • Seafood Shops
  • Medical Surgeries 

What the law says

Under the Water Supply (Safety & Reliability) Act 2008, it is an offence to allow anything other than liquid domestic waste to be discharged into the sewerage system without the permission of Wide Bay Water.

This means that trade waste including stormwater, motor oil, paints, grease, food particles, etc. from commercial, industrial, trade or manufacturing activities, is prohibited from entering the sewerage system.

Written approval must be obtained from Wide Bay Water to discharge trade waste to the sewerage system.

Getting approval

All customers seeking to discharge trade waste into the sewerage system must submit a Trade Waste Approval Application Form, available from Wide Bay Water.

The application will be evaluated, and if the applicant is able to meet the requirements of Wide Bay Water’s Environmental Management Plan and Technical Specifications a trade waste approval will be issued subject to conditions.

Trade waste requirements are outlined in Wide Bay Water's Environmental Management Plan and Technical Specifications (PDF). 

A trade waste approval cannot be reassigned or transferred.

In the event of either a change of ownership or tenancy to the premises, Wide Bay Water requires written notification fourteen (14) days of any such intended change. The obligation is on the Owner/Authorised Agent or Trade Waste Generator to notify Wide Bay Water.

It is recommended that a Trade Waste Compliance Inspection/Search Application be made to Wide Bay Water prior to any change of ownership or tenancy to identify any outstanding issues.

For more information, please contact Wide Bay Water's Trade Waste Officers on 1300 79 49 29.

Sewage Treatment