Animals and Pets

New Animal Registration/Change of Ownership form (PDF)

LOST PETS - View impounded animals here

The keeping of animals in the Fraser Coast region are governed by Local Laws, and cats and dogs are also governed by the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 

On 24 August 2022 the Region’s first Domestic Animal Management Strategy (PDF) was adopted by Council.

The endorsed Strategy was developed to provide a framework for the delivery of animal management services and initiatives over the next 10 years, and to help achieve the purposes of the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and FCRC Local Laws.

The Strategy is a living document and will be reviewed annually.

The key objectives of the strategy are:

  • To ensure pet owners are educated and aware of the principles of responsible pet ownership.
  • To provide a high level of customer service interactions and offer alternative service delivery options where appropriate.
  • To encourage compliance with State legislation and Local Laws; and to apply increased and proportionate enforcement response to matters of non-compliance or continued non-compliance.
  • To encourage pet owners to embrace responsible pet ownership with respect to registration, micro-chipping and desexing and ensuring pets in the community are appropriately controlled and contained.
  • To improve and increase community-based facilities for dog owners.
  • To provide an animal management facility for the welfare, housing and reclaim of impounded animals.
  • To provide knowledgeable and trained staff to respond to matters of domestic animal management.

Animal management is more than just regulation and enforcement.  We believe that effective animal management contributes to the overall health and wellbeing of the community.

Animal management encapsulates community responsibility through responsible pet ownership and expectations of our community are focused on pet owners being accountable for the privilege of looking after the needs of an animal in the best interests of neighbours, the local community, the environment and the pet itself.


  • For information visit the dogs webpage.

  • Cat traps are available for hire from the Hervey Bay and Maryborough refuges.

  • Cat registration is not required on the Fraser Coast.

  • Animal owners who wish to keep more than the allowed maximum number of cats and dogs on a property need to apply for an approval to keep an additional animal and will be subject to an approval process. Part of the approval process includes submitting the written consent of all adjoining neighbours of the property, and if the registered animal owner does not own the property, a letter of consent by the property owner.

    In the case of a dog, that is not a working dog, an approval is required -

    1. to keep 3 or more cats or dogs over the age of 3 months on any property;  or
    2. to keep 2 or more cats or dogs over the age of 3 months on any residential unit (residential development comprising multiple units on a single lot), multiple dwellings, Accommodation Units, Caravan Park, Retirement Village: or
    3. to keep more than 6 racing Greyhounds registered with Racing Queensland over the age of 3 months on a property.

    For information on how to register – refer to the Animal registration webpage

  • Council is committed to promoting responsible domestic pet ownership.  The number of dogs, cats, chickens, roosters, pigeons and doves you can have is dependent on the size of your property.

    The number of animals you can keep is regulated by Council's local laws.

    Animals must be kept in a way that does not cause a noise, smell or wandering nuisance to others.

    Registration of an animal does not automatically ensure that the animal is permitted to be kept on a property.

    If you would like to keep an animal on your property other than a cat or dog please contact Council to find out if a permit is required.

    Fact sheet - Number of animals per property (PDF)

  • Making sure your pet is registered and microchipped will ensure your pet is returned home quickly if it happens to escape the yard.

    Council is focussed on reuniting pets with their owners and uses the registration tag or microchip information to find their owners. Animals taken into Council’s care are advertised on Council's Lost Pets webpage and the Fraser Coast Animal Pound Facebook page.

    If a pet is unregistered and the owner cannot be found after three days, the animal is assessed for suitability of rehousing and in Hervey Bay offered to the Fraser Coast Adoption Centre, or in Maryborough offered to the Maryborough and District Animal Refuge. The animal may also end up being offered to one of the other Fraser Coast Animal Welfare groups.

    If a pet is registered every effort will be made to reunite the animal with its owner. Sadly ‘in some circumstances’ the owner cannot be found, in these cases, after seven days the animal will be assessed for suitability of rehousing following the same rehoming process as for unregistered animals above.

  • Council will not respond to or become involved with incidents of wandering livestock on State-controlled roads in the Fraser Coast Local Government Area (LGA).

    Responsibility for wandering livestock on State-controlled roads on the Fraser Coast lies with the person(s) who own(s) or has care and control of the stock, and with the relevant State government agencies.

    The Federal and State Roads affected by this process include:

    • Bruce Highway
    • Maryborough - Biggenden Road
    • Boompa Road
    • Bauple - Woolooga Road
    • Cooloola Coast Road
    • Mungar Road
    • Maryborough - Hervey Bay Road
    • Torbanlea - Pialba Road
    • Burrum Heads Road
    • Pialba - Burrum Heads Road
    • Booral Road

    In the first instance wandering livestock should be reported to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) Traffic Report on 13 19 40 and Police for actioning.

    For wandering livestock on all other roads in the Fraser Coast region, please contact Council.

  • Living with kangaroos and wallabies

    Kangaroos and wallabies are an important part of local wildlife and generally live harmoniously within our community.  At times (particularly around breeding season) these animals come into conflict with residents and there are recent instances of attacks by kangaroos or wallabies on residents our region.

    Below are some tips on how negative interaction with these animals can be avoided

    It is important to know how you should behave around kangaroos and wallabies. The following information can help to make living near kangaroos and wallabies a safer and fascinating experience.

    Enjoy your kangaroos or wallabies - but from a distance

    If you enter an area where kangaroos or wallabies live, give them as much space as possible. If you see one, stay away from it and watch how it behaves. If it moves toward you, or shows signs of being aggressive, move away (even if it is only looking for food or human contact, a kangaroo or wallaby may still become aggressive). Don't act aggressively towards the kangaroo or wallaby, as this will simply reinforce the idea that you are a threat.

    Dangerous situations may also arise where kangaroos and wallabies move into backyards or on to private property to feed. These can be avoided by fencing and removing sources of food or water that are attracting them.

    Get to know your local mob

    By watching the animals that live near you, you can learn to identify individuals by their appearance (e.g. size, sex, notches on their ears) and even give them names. You will also start to work out the relationships between individuals (e.g. who the dominant male is) and be able to follow the birth and growth of each new generation of joeys.

    To feed or not to feed

    The simple answer here is: don't feed. Feeding brings kangaroos and wallabies into close contact with people, creating potentially dangerous situations. Exposing them to an artificial diet may also cause health problems and create unnatural concentrations of animals.

    And if a kangaroo or wallaby becomes aggressive

    If you are approached by an aggressive kangaroo or wallaby you should keep it at a safe distance so that it can't kick or scratch. For example, hold up a stick or branch, or stay behind a fence or a tree. Move away from the animal as quickly as you can. Turning your back on it and running could be dangerous as a large male can easily outrun you and still kick at the same time. Turn side-on and protect the front of your body with your arms and keep your head as far away from the animal as possible to minimise the risk of being scratched on the face.

    If it is a large male that has been displaying dominance behaviour, it may see you as a threat. Protect yourself and let the animal know you are not a threat by giving a short, deep cough, avoiding eye contact and crouching down as you move away.

    Females and smaller male animals are less likely to be aggressive but may approach if they are used to being fed or have had a lot of human contact. Even though females are much smaller than males, they can scratch and kick and could pose a safety risk - particularly to small children.

    As a last resort, if you can't escape an attacking kangaroo or wallaby, roll up into a ball on the ground with your arm covering your neck and call for help. Try to roll or crawl away to a safe place.

    For more information, head to the Department of Environment and Science Kangaroos and wallabies webpage.

  • Magpie season can run anywhere between June and December each year.

    As magpies are protected wildlife, Council is unable to relocate magpies from their natural habitats.

    Please contact Council on 1300 79 49 29 to report a swooping Magpie and provide relevant information to its location.

    For information on how to stay safe  from a swooping magpie, please head to the Department of Environment and Science Australian magpies webpage.

    • Sick, injured, tangled or dead marine mammals including whales, dolphins, dugongs, seals, and sick, injured, tangled, or dead marine turtles contact 1300 130 372 - Department of Environment and Science (DES) – 24/7 hotline or email
    • Sick, injured, tangled, or dead marine animals including fish, sharks, sting rays phone DAF on 13 25 23 or email
    • ALL other sick, injured wildlife contact RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL
  • Council does not remove or deal with snakes.  Please refer to a local directory of snake catchers in Fraser Coast.

Contact us

For further information, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 1300 79 49 29 or email