Upgrade proposed for busy Hervey Bay intersection
A major upgrade to one of Hervey Bay’s busiest road intersections is progressing as part of the $59 million Bunnings development on the corner of McLiver Street and Main Street.
Cr David Lee said the work would improve traffic flow through the intersection of Main Street and McLiver Street near the Pialba Aldi and Stockland Shopping Centre which often experienced significant congestion with traffic backing up into the Stockland car park.
“The Bunnings development has given us an opportunity to work collaboratively with a number of landholders and businesses to achieve a substantial upgrade to the Main Street and McLiver Street intersection,” he said.
A traffic analysis of the intersection determined that a left turn slip lane from McLiver Street (from the Stocklands/Aldi shopping centres) into Main Street would help alleviate congestion issues and improve the efficient operations of the traffic signals.
Cr Lee said Bunnings, as part of its development approval, was required to build a new right turn lane into Main Street from McLiver Street (westbound), to improve traffic flow at the intersection.
“Council has completed detailed design work for an intersection upgrade to the western side of McLiver Street. This work will start after the Bunnings intersection works are completed,” Cr Lee said.
“Council is continuing talks with neighbouring landowners to acquire land to undertake its portion of the project – adding the slip lane to improve the flow of traffic leaving the Stockland Shopping Centre and Aldi.
The project includes:
- An extra right turn lane from McLiver Street (westbound) into Main Street;
- Construction of left turn lane from Main Street into McLiver Street (eastbound);
- Construction of left turn lane from McLiver Street into Main Street (northbound);
- Extension of the right turn lane into Stockland and Aldi in Main Street (southbound);
- Extension of right turn lane into McLiver Street from Main St (northbound);
- New right turn lane into Bunnings in McLiver Street;
- New left turn lane into Bunnings in Main Street;
- New roundabout at the intersection of McLiver Street and Davis Drive;
- Inclusion of extra pedestrian leg on the traffic signals.
The finished intersection will cater for growth and improve traffic flow through the intersection.